The mobile application development has become quite essential for those who don’t want to miss on a whopping number of mobile users.
The mobile technology has improved dramatically over the past few years, today almost everyone (though not all) has a Smartphone that helps them access the Internet with ease as and when desire. Hence, to enhance your business values and target a wider audience base, it’s advisable to make strives for a successful mobile presence along with an online presence. This is where the concept of mobile app development plays a great role.
Different approaches are available that contributes to the mobile application development, and the cross-platform mobile app development is one of them. It excellently penetrates with the mobile dynamics and commit to deliver absolute performance.
Like other approaches, the cross-platform mobile application development also possesses benefits and drawbacks. So, in order to decide whether it will be perfect for your business or not, you must consider all the key aspects related to it beforehand. To help you ensure a better choice, let’s have a look at the benefits and drawbacks associated with this approach.
Advantages of Cross-platform Mobile Application Development
1.) Augments Convenient Access To Plugins: Some major frameworks including PhoneGap, Accelerator, etc., offer easy accessibility to modules and plugins. Therefore, you can improve your app functionality by integrating a desirable plugin or module into your app.
2. Cost-effective Solution: Since with this approach, you won’t need to invest in another team of developers (or other resources) while making an application executable over multiple platforms, this solution reduces the app development cost. This utile feature of this approach makes it the most sought after choice for several companies and developers.
3.) Reusable Code: This feature of cross-platform approach makes it stand ahead of others, as it facilitates developers to reuse the once written piece of code to define a particular action or function over several platforms. This helps save time and efforts and makes the mobile app development task more convenient and efficient.
4.) Offers Cloud Services: You can also reap the benefits of cloud services while creating a mobile application with this approach. It is quite beneficial especially for enterprise applications. As, there are several cross-platform mobile app development frameworks available out there that supports cloud services including AWS, Salesforce.com, etc.
5.) Even Web Developers Can Access the cross-platform App Development Frameworks With Ease: Web developers can easily implement the applications, due to the dynamic nature and scripting languages deployed in the cross-platform mobile app development frameworks. And, the integrated CSS3 and HTML 5 further helps support native features without compromising on the application quality and functionality.
Drawbacks of Cross-platform Mobile Application Development
1. Might Offer Sluggish Code Execution: Certain speed related issues could annoy you at times while executing code. This problem has been noticed frequently with the options that are available with the hybrid app development approach.
2. Might Not Allow You to Use Every Feature of a Device and OS: Whenever the mobile operating system has been updated with some latest features, then for integrating that new feature, you will first need to update the framework.
3. Might Not Offer Quality Graphics and 3D Support: This could be a serious issue, especially if you are interested in developing a gaming application. However, there are certain platforms including Unity that can help you conveniently develop a gaming app without leaving the app graphics and display quality behind.
4. Restricts The Usage Of Your Own Tools: Although, there are frameworks that facilitate developers to use their own suits and tools with their specific IDE preferences, but there are some that support native IDE. Thus, to accomplish a particular task of deploying the requisite tools, you might need to implement the native IDE.
While observing the market trends, it can be said that the graph of cross-platform tools is steeply climbing, and it is expected to continue that. Consider the aforementioned pros and cons to decide whether this approach will be ideal for your business needs or not. Though, there are numerous cons related to this approach, but most of the limitations can be kept at bay by understanding them beforehand and following an appropriate method; or you may also hire some efficient developer or outsource your project to some reputed mobile app development company that suits well to your project needs.
There are numerous frameworks available in the market that support cross-platform mobile application development. So, it is advisable to choose an efficient one that can help you meet your requirements with greater proficiency.
Author Bio: Maria Mincey is a productive author, who brings to the table a quantum of learning around web improvement administrations. She works for Xicom Technologies, a outsource web development company which delivers most comprehensive web applications and solutions for different industry verticals.